Earlier on Tuesday, hours after the deadly explosion in Lebanon’s capital Beirut, US president Donald Trump pulled the plug by calling Beirut’s Blast “a terrible attack” carried out using a “bomb of some kind.” However, Pentagon’s officials say they have no idea of what Donald Trump was talking when he called Beirut explosion “A terrible Attack.” Watch his statement before the reporters in the video, below.
According to details, President Donald Trump on Tuesday cast a massive explosion that killed dozens of people and wounded thousands in Lebanon’s capital, Beirut, as a possible attack and offered U.S. help.
“The United States stands ready to assist Lebanon,” Trump said at a White House briefing. “We will be there to help. It looks like a terrible attack.”
When asked later about his depiction of the explosion, Trump said that he had spoken with U.S. military officials who think the blast seemed to be an attack, “a bomb of some kind.”
However, Three US Defense Department officials told CNN that as of Tuesday night there was no indication that the massive explosion that rocked Beirut on Tuesday were an “attack,” contradicting an earlier claim from President Donald Trump.
According to CNN, the defense officials, who declined to be identified so they could speak freely, said they didn’t know what the President was talking about.
One official said that if there were indications anyone in the region pulled something off of this scale, it would trigger automatic increases in force protection for US troops and assets in the region — if for no other reason than worry about retribution attacks.That official noted that none of that has happened so far.
A Pentagon spokesperson said the Department of Defense was referring requests for comments to the White House.
Following Trump’s comments Tuesday, Lebanese officials raised concerns with US diplomats about the use of the word “attack” at this point.
Earlier on Tuesday, an estimated 2750 Tons of ammonium nitrate exploded in a warehouse at Beirut port, killing more than 100 people and more than 4000 injured. Numbers of casualties may rise as rescue operation continues.
Lebanon’s interior minister said initial information indicated that highly explosive material, seized years ago and which had been stored at the port, had blown up.