The U.S. President Donald Trump announces a “hold” on money going to the WHO, calls them “China-centric.”
“They missed the call. They could have called it months earlier… they should have known. And they probably did know.”
They “should have known, they must have known,” said US President Donald Trump at his daily coronavirus briefing at the White House Tuesday, accusing WHO of with-holding information on the virus as it exploded around the globe.
According to details, The U.S. President Donald Trump Criticized the World Health Organization on Tuesday, April 7, and threatened that he will consider putting a hold on funding WHO receives from the US.
In a media briefing at the White House, Donald Trump stated twice that the United States funds the majority of the organization’s budget like WHO. According to the WHO, the United States provided 14.67% of its funding in 2018-2019.
The WHO has been the most prominent global health organization leading the strategy to stem the spread of the COVID-19, coronavirus and Similar epidemics during the past years.
But on Tuesday, Trump criticized the WHO as slow to respond to the crisis, and repeatedly said the World health organization has been “China-centric.” He complained that the WHO “receives vast amounts of money from the United States” and that the organization “called it wrong.”
Earlier before the press briefing, Donald Trump made similar accusations against WHO on the Twitter calling it “Very China Centric”. His tweet reads:
“The W.H.O. really blew it. For some reason, funded largely by the United States, yet very China-centric. We will be giving that a good look. Fortunately, I rejected their advice on keeping our borders open to China early on. Why did they give us such a faulty recommendation?”
On other hand, Chinese responded to Donald Trump’s comments “WHO is China-centric”. Chinese media said in a report,
The World Health Organization has been on the end of relentless criticism for its slow response to the COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan and its seeming bias toward the Chinese government, despite the stream of misleading information Beijing put out at the outset of the crisis.
One person who is fed up is U.S. President Donald Trump and he blasted the organization,… calling the UN agency “very China centric, Kim Sungmin from AriRang News (A China based English News channel) reported.”
“We have therefore made the assessment that COVID-19 can be characterized as a pandemic, An official from World Health organization announced earlier when they declared the COVID-19 as an Epidemic.”
Chinese media said When the World Health Organization officially declared COVID-19 a pandemic, the number of confirmed cases around the world had already surpassed 110-thousand.
But up until then, the WHO had consistently blasted countries that banned travelers from China, saying such measures merely increase fear and stigma against Chinese, all while having little public health benefit.
The organization also failed to provide coherent guidelines regarding the issue of wearing face masks as a protective measure against the virus.
Breaking his relative silence on the issue on Tuesday, U.S. President Donald Trump had some harsh words for the agency.
Trump Criticized the WHO on Twitter as “very China centric”, despite the agency being funded largely by the United States.
President Trump said it was fortunate the U.S. rejected the WHO’s advice on keeping their borders open to Chinese visitors.
He further blasted the organization for giving a “faulty recommendation”.
During his White House COVID-19 Task Force briefing on Tuesday, he went a step further suggesting he might freeze U.S. funding for the WHO.
“We got to investigate it. We’re going to look at it, but we will look at ending funding. Yeah. Because you know what? They called it wrong.”
However, a report claims the Trump administration also failed to take sufficient countermeasures despite knowing the seriousness of the outbreak.
The New York Times reported Tuesday that President Trump’s trade advisor Peter Navarro warned the White House about the risks of the coronavirus in early January.
In his note, Navarro said a full-blown COVID-19 pandemic could infect around 100 million Americans and cause up to 1.2 million deaths.
Asked about the report on Tuesday, U.S. President Trump said he had not been shown the memo, but he heard Navarro had wrote some projections on what could unfold.
An interesting thing which happened during his press briefing was that trump quickly denied his own warning of holding funds to WHO. The conversation held as below.
TRUMP: “Were going to put a hold on money spent to the WHO.”
16 minutes later
REPORTER: Is the time to freeze funding to the WHO during a pandemic?
TRUMP: “No, maybe not. I mean, I’m not saying I’m going to do it.”
REPORTER: Yes you did
TRUMP: “No, I didn’t.”